Areas of practice
Mikaela D. Torbert of F&P’s Hagerstown office concentrates her litigation practice primarily in the area of civil liability defense. She has represented clients in a variety of matters, including accident/injury/tort claims, wrongful termination, hostile work environment, defamation, contract disputes, and excessive force claims.
Before joining Franklin and Prokopik, Mikaela served as an assistant prosecuting attorney in Berkeley County, West Virginia, for two years. She has experience handling a variety of criminal cases ranging from driving offenses and theft to serious felonies. Following law school, Mikaela worked as an Associate Attorney with Pullin, Fowler, Flanagan, Brown & Poe, PLLC in Martinsburg, WV for six years practicing civil litigation where she successfully defended two appeals to the Supreme Court of West Virginia.
During law school, Mikaela worked as a legal intern for the West Virginia University Office of Student Legal Services and as a summer law clerk for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of West Virginia.
Bar and Court Admissions
- West Virginia State Bar, 2012
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, 2012
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, 2012
- Maryland State Bar, Pending
- West Virginia University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2011
- Shepherd University, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Cum Laude, 2007
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Pretrial Litigation.
Mikaela is a member of the West Virginia State Bar Association and a member of the Eastern Panhandle Association of West Virginia. In her free time, Mikaela enjoys spending time with her husband and two children, as well as traveling and baking cupcakes.