As one of the founding Principals of Franklin & Prokopik, Michael Prokopik has extensive experience with state and federal (Longshore) defense of workers’ compensation claims, civil trial work, occupational disease and general tort litigation. He has lectured extensively on workers’ compensation and longshore topics.
While in law school, he served as an editor of the University of Baltimore Law Review from 1977-1978. He also served as a clerk for United States District Judge Shirley B. Jones, United States District Court for the District of Maryland from 1979–1980.
Awards and Distinctions
- Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected as Top Rated Attorney to SuperLawyers for Workers’ Compensation 2008-2021
Michael’s memberships include the American Bar Association, Maryland Defense Counsel (Workers’ Compensation Committee), Safety Council of Maryland, and Baltimore Claims Associations. He was appointed as one of four new board members of Kids’ Chance of Maryland in 2008.
Michael has presented on and written about many topics primarily related to the field workers’ compensation for numerous organizations, including:
- American Society of Safety Engineers, Region VI
- Chesapeake Region Safety Council, Inc.
- Chesapeake RIMS (Risk Insurance Management Society)
- Council on Education in Management
- Cumberland Valley Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management
- Harford County Job Service Employer Committee
- Job Service Employers Committee
- Lorman Education Services
- Maryland Insurance Industry Day
- Maryland Job Service Employer Committee
- MWCEA (Maryland Workers’ Compensation Education Association)
- NBI (National Business Institute)
- Safety Council of Maryland, Inc.
- Stone Vocational Services
- The Cecil County JSEC
- Tri-State Safety Council of Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
- Western Maryland Safety Conference
- Numerous additional Conferences and Seminars provided to individual clients.